SOLO FEMALE TRAVEL, HAVE YOU FOUND YOUR TRIBE YET?

For me there is nothing more exhilarating than spending time with women of all ages who make me feel positive about life. Sharing stories about the good and the bad times, supporting one another and championing each others endeavours.

This Bank holiday has been filled with those moments. It all started earlier this year, when a women called Lynne Martin contacted me. She runs @NordicWalkingFit in Dorset, along with Nordic Walking holidays. She said that a friend of hers had introduced her to my book RETIREMENT REBEL,  She loved the book, it resonated with her because she lives in a caravan. She started following me on Instagram and said that if I was ever in her area she would love to show me Nordic Walking. I was intrigued and replied that I would love to meet up and learn more about it. 

After a seven and a half hour drive, due to being caught up in numerous traffic jams on motorways from Yorkshire to Dorset, I arrived at a campsite near Poole in Dorset, in the pouring rain. Thinking "this Nordic Walking lark had better be worth all this effort." Lynne was there to greet me with a big smile and  a warm hug. I knew instantly that we were going to have a fun time. 

The first morning was a quick lesson on how to use the poles correctly, who knew there was so much to it?  Thankfully I picked it up fairly quickly. Lynne did say that I was a natural. I had a great swing to my shoulder, planting and propelling myself along. I admit after a short while I got the "oh yeah I quite like this Nordic walking. I could feel it was taking pressure off my joints, in particular my knees, which had been hurting quite a lot recently. I was also conscious that I was using more muscle groups in my back and arms. Lynne said it turned my walk into a workout without me having to put in any more effort than normal walking.



It was time to meet the other ladies of the group. They were so welcoming and did not mind that we ran through a few of the techniques again, along with their usual warmup exercises, before setting off.

Not only is the Nordic walking group excellent for keeping fit, it is a great opportunity for the women to have a good natter. I could feel the warmth between the ladies, with their shared banter and laughter, recounting past holidays together or times they had experienced. It was clear that Lynne was well loved. 

I got the opportunity to chat with all the ladies during the five mile walk. They all has a tale to tell of how Nordic walking had helped them, both mentally and physically and how Lynne does so much for them.  She was organising a surprise 80th birthday bash for one of the group. They said that was typical of how she was with them all.

Talking about surprises, Lynne had organised one for me. She had invited about a dozen people to meet me at her caravan for afternoon tea and scones. It was delightful to chat with them all and read from my book and sign copies for my new Nordic Walking friends. Several had already read it. I welcomed the  feedback firsthand about what impression it had had on them. How it had inspired some to think about doing more adventurous things and be more positive about ageing.


On day two Lynn took me to Wareham Forest to check out my hill walking technique before tackling the walk along the undulating Jurassic coastline. I have to admit I was not a natural with the downhill technique , thankfully it eventually sank in and I was ready to meet the next group of women.



Once again I received a very warm welcome from the ladies at the car park in Worth Matravers. We all did the warm up exercises with lots of chatter and laughter. Then off we went past the cows, who did not bat an eyelid as we strode past with our poles swinging along beside us. Several green fields later we stopped to see the dinosaur footprints at Keates Quarry.



 It is mind blowing to think that millions of years ago they walked along this section of coastline.

As we progressed along the route the sun burst through the clouds, we were treated to the most spectacular views over the sea to our left. One of the ladies, "the biscuit lady" had made some delicious cookies that were most welcome, as we stopped to take in the breathtaking scenery. I was totally sold on the delights of Nordic walking.


Everyone walks at their own pace, in little groups, or alone, if the fancy takes them. Some stopping to jump over a hedge to wee, or stopping to tie a shoe lace,  this meant that the women joined different walking partners at various stages along the five mile route. There was lots of walking and talking and sharing of thoughts.  Without exception they only had positive things to say about Nordic walking with Lynne. Several had signed up for her next holiday in Spain. They said last year's Nordic Walking holiday was fabulous and they were hoping for more of the same. All of them talked excitedly about the pasties they sell at The Square and Compass pub in Purbeck at the end of the walk. I was first in the  queue, I was not disappointed, my meat pastie was delicious and just what I needed to nourish me after all that exercise.

As you know I am a pro-age campaigner, all about positive ageing and this certainly has been a good example of that. Women of all ages enjoying an activity that is both social and physically beneficial. What is there not to like. Life is for living and I am so happy I got to do a little bit of my living with this warmhearted bunch of women and to be an honorary member of  @NordicWalkingFit

As if that was not enough, one of the ladies on the walk asked me if I wanted to join"The Blue Tits" for a Seaswim the next morning. She arranged to pick me up at the campsite and take me along. I love my cold water swims, I was delighted and very excited about meeting even more women who were having their adventures and bonding together.

I had heard of the Blue Tits in passing so I googled them that night. The front page of their website says "We believe outdoor swimming is for everyone. Wherever you are from, you can find fun and friendship by challenging your limits with The Bluetits." 

I loved everything I read about the group , which has branches all over the country

Right on time at twenty past eight in the morning, Kathy pulled up in her mini and I hopped in along with another lady who had arranged to meet us there. I was snug in my swimming robe from Elite merchandise, this prompted Kathy to say that 'She had decided to wear her jacket but she wished that she had grabbed her her dry robe now" 

When we got to the car park at Studland Bay there were already a number of women decked in their Swimming robes eagerly awaiting everyone. We headed off down to the seafront. Excitedly, with lots of chatter and laughter, they prepared themselves to enter the cold sea. Some with wetsuits, others like myself just in swimming costumes , boots, gloves and a hat. It was a glorious morning. I loved just swimming around, chatting and laughing with the ladies who had welcomed me into the group with such ease. The treat afterwards was a tasty sausage sandwich at a little cafe a bit further along the coast. I was eager to talk to them to find out what they got from doing the cold water swims. One woman said that she started eighteen months ago and has now been able to stop using her inhaler for her asthma because her health had improved so much. 




This swim has opened up a whole new world to me now that I am a member of the Studland Bay Blue Tits group. I can google groups all over the country and join them for their daily swims.

I feel the more I engage in these sorts of activities with women of all ages the more I feel I have found my tribe. Women who just want to feel good about themselves and get the most out of life. They also thrive on supporting other women along the way. Kindness is such a strength.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ONE WOMAN, ONE MOTORHOME, ONE FRENCH ADVENTURE

MAGIC HAPPENS WHEN WOMEN GET TOGETHER FOR ADVENTURES

WILL I COPE TAKING MY MOTORHOME OVER TO FRANCE ON MY OWN, AT 64YRS OLD?