GETTING OLDER AND BOLDER

 

When I started my travels in my motorhome, over a year ago now, I had so many ideas about what I would do to challenge ageism and challenge stereotypes of what retired pensioners did in their lives or could do in their lives. I never envisaged that a Pandemic would stop me in my tracks. My whole philosophy was to have no plan but to go with the flow, travelling around Great Britain seeking out adventures and meeting interesting people along the way and telling their stories about what ageing means to them. I was even planning to invite them to join me for a couple of days, to experience life on the road with me and tell me a bit of their back story and why they wanted to see what Motorhome life was like. Hopefully they would  have connected with me and my campaign to make old a positive thing, rather than something to be dreaded. 

During this second lockdown I have been reflecting on all the things I have done so far and feel that despite the pandemic I have come a long way.  I definitely feel that I am getting older and bolder because of having to face the constant anxiety about what is going to happen next.  I am determined to conquer all the difficulties I am facing during my travels. It is a battle in itself to keep ahead of where is closing down to stay safe and within the guidelines of what is permitted. 

For the next few months I am staying on the North Norfolk coast so that I can keep myself to myself and hopefully avoid COVID.  Even doing that and trying to stay safe is not without its troubles. Some of the locals are not happy that I am here, even though I am here legitimately and not doing any harm. They just see a motorhome in a field and presume that I am on holiday. One chap persists on calling out to me when he is walking his dog nearby, "oy you should not be here!go home!!" the first time I called back "this is my home and make sure you know all the facts before you start shouting at me". Since then I have just ignored it. But on the night time it does make me so much more worried than I have been feeling. I envisage him coming into the field to harass me. But I am so lucky that the couple who own the land, James and Serena, are so lovely and supportive.They have locked the gate and put up a sign saying the area is closed due to government restrictions. They did all the checks they needed to do to make sure I could stay here during lockdown. So when I told them what had happened they said "You don't have to explain yourself to anyone " tell them to call us and we will put them straight", She also gave me her personal phone number to contact her if I needed to. She also said that she does a weekly online shop and if I need anything to just text and she will get it for me. It is people like that that restore my faith in human nature. That is exactly how I would have treated someone in my position. But I will never get used to mean spirited people.

I have to say that I am blown away by the beauty of this part of the country. 

             Wells-next-the-sea

               Cromer


             Cley next the sea

            Blakeney

 are all just so picturesque. I am lucky that I am able to walk to them and to cycle around the area and explore and stay safe without coming into contact with people. I am only disappointed that I cannot interview some of the older locals and find out more about the history of the place. I do know that the people who have grown up here for generations are very protective about their surroundings and feel pushed out because so many outsiders are buying up the beautiful properties as second homes, which means that youngsters cannot always afford to stay in the area. I am here for a few months, so I do hope that I will be able to find out more from some of the locals, at a distance, once this lockdown is over.

In the meantime I am writing articles for magazines and blogs as well as focussing on writing my book about my motorhome madness, ageing disgracefully and challenging ageism and stereotypes of older people. Sadly Ageism is everywhere in our society, we are sold miracle creams and cures to try and change the way we look, older people are seen as little value and we have learned to dread getting older, instead of savouring the fact that we are able to be alive and age. So many do not have that privilege.

There is no question that ageing does have its hindrances for some, slowing down, achy joints etc but it certainly has many benefits and we should not be fixated on negatives. As I get older and bolder I want to help to change the narratives surrounding ageing and show a more positive side to it. Ageing is a blessing and a privilege, what is the alternative? I have seen many family members die far too young and I cherish the time I have to live life to the full. I try to make every day count. For me I am realising that I don't need lots of stuff to make me happy as I age, I need to be making memories and having experiences. That has become increasingly hard during shutdown and that has made me feel particularly sad at times and I have had a few really good cries.

Then my spirit comes back fighting and I can see a way forward and I realise that I have to rethink my goals. I am continuing to read as much as I can about what can be done to encourage better images and narratives surrounding older people.And contribute to discussions on social media where possible surrounding the subject of ageing and ageism. I am engaging with webinars, involving people from marketing and the media because there is a particular problem in those areas with getting the message across that ageist attitudes need to change. Saying that I can feel the winds of change and I am encouraged that the message is trickling through, that we are ageing so differently now days.









Comments

  1. Such an uplifting blog to read this morning. It is strange times and even stranger to be embarking on such a life changing voyage. What marvelous adventures you are having!! I am loving keeping up with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely blog post. What an exciting adventure. I admire you! Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just sent a message but nto sure it arrived! So testing this again. JY x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, so here's the comment that didn't go through! Serena and James sound sent from heaven - quite right to ignore that nasty bloke. Keep doing what you're doing -- you said you'd do it, you have, and you are. So admirable. And now the magazine articles too ... so pleased for you. Enjoy that Christmas Day sunrise! Jx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

ONE WOMAN, ONE MOTORHOME, ONE FRENCH ADVENTURE

MAGIC HAPPENS WHEN WOMEN GET TOGETHER FOR ADVENTURES

WILL I COPE TAKING MY MOTORHOME OVER TO FRANCE ON MY OWN, AT 64YRS OLD?