CHALLENGING AGEISM



The other day I had a particularly sad day and I just did not know why. There was no reason for me to feel like that but I realised that I have an underlying anxiety that I am finding hard to get rid of.

We have been on lockdown since March 23rd and now some things are reopening and things are supposedly improving. Death rates are falling and people are going back to work. But I have a feeling of dread. I think I have become accustomed to my way of life in the motorhome away from everyone. Only venturing out to the shops once a week. Then making sure my bike rides take me to the most sparsely populated areas so that I see very few people.

I am trying to envisage what my life will be like when we are allowed to move around freely. Part of me wants to stay in this safe cocoon but the other part of me feels rudderless and lost and wants to embark on my travels and adventures again and meet new people.


One thing that has hit me most during all this is the attitude towards older people. When I started travelling I said my aim was to challenge ageism and to try and dispel stereotypes of how retired pensioners are depicted in society, particularly by the media and advertising and marketing agencies.

In the narrative surrounding COVID19 pandemic we have heard a lot of ageist comments and attitudes.  This is something that has been bubbling under the surface for years. But it has not been spoken about enough. This is the perfect opportunity for everyone to challenge ageism and have discussions about just how prevalent it is in societies all over the world. It should be challenged. We all age differently, some seventy year olds are far fitter than some fifty year olds and to try and behave like one size fits all will inevitably result in some form of ageism.


For me I became particularly concerned when there were suggestions that anyone over sixty should stay indoors for their own protection. I was incensed, I understand that it is vital that people who need support get it but those who don't should not be made to adhere to government commands because they have reached a certain age. No doubt in the future I will be grateful for extra support in situations like this as my health and body become less robust. But for now I am able to climb mountains, cycle and walk for miles and I would say I am fit for a sixty year old. Ok I have a bit of a dodgy knee that gives me gip but that does not mean that I should be herded into the vulnerable category.

I want people to look at the whole issue of ageism, because it does not just effect elderly, Ageism means that you are discriminated against because of your age. So younger people can come up against it too. It is something we should all be aware of and address it when we see it happening.
Older people are widely patronised and mocked in society and many are seen as incompetent. This needs to be addressed particularly in work places. The government is forcing us to work longer and wait longer to get our pensions but at the same time attitudes in the workplace are not changing quickly enough. My last few years in my job I had to fight hard to get my voice heard. Older workers are often seen by unfair bosses as having lower levels of performance and less ability and they are often forced out by unreasonable behaviour. They become so stressed they cannot fight the ageism anymore. There needs to be more awareness in society and even more legislation, to prevent this from happening.

One good thing to come out of this pandemic and lockdown is that I have spent a lot more time on social media and engaged with like minded individuals. There is one lady on twitter who has captured my attention, BEHIND THE WOMAN MIDLIFE HEALTH AND WELLBEING @behindthewoman1,  who is spearheading a fabulous campaign to change the standard media stock images representing midlife, ageing and the menopause. Instead of the usual ageist stereotypes. She is getting together a fantastic gallery of women who have submitted  photographs of themselves embracing life's adventures whatever their age.  They are non ageist ,positive inclusive visual representations of women as they reach 40's 50's 60's 70's 80's and beyond. I was pleased to add my photograph to one poster #lovetheskinimin.


The advertising, marketing and media need to rethink their narratives when it come to describing people as they are getting older.

I have listened to talks and read a lot about ageism during lockdown and the ways we can try combat it, especially post Cover-19, because I feel many of the decisions involving older people in care homes during lockdown was ageist. Decisions were made purely on age rather than on need and vulnerability.

I want to use my voice wherever possible to try and help change perceptions about being elderly and how we grow old. I want to continue my motorhome travels as a retired pensioner the moment I am allowed to move.  I want to shout from the treetops that life is for living and we can do that at any age. And ageing is a privilege that we should embrace and make the most of without restriction. Put yourself where you want to be in life, not where society says that you should be because you have reached a certain number of years on this planet.


Comments

  1. Thanks for this enjoyable and thoughtful post. I agree, we live in a very ageist society - we're never the 'right' age for something or other and, yes, the older we get the worse it becomes. Yes to challenging this damaging prejudice. Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree and Im experiencing anxiety like yiu have. Im still furious at the Govt stealing a huge pension pot off us because we were working towards retiring at 60, not 66. Moving the goal posts was highly immoral as far as Im concerned; leaving many women in poverty. I also agree with you totally that many work places still treat older women in a less than favourable manner, dismissing their valid ideas & making them feel 2nd class. I too have experienced it. I left teaching and took my reduced teachers pension earlier because if it. After 6 months I did resume teaching PT. still not sure what I really want to do xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

ONE WOMAN, ONE MOTORHOME, ONE FRENCH ADVENTURE

MAGIC HAPPENS WHEN WOMEN GET TOGETHER FOR ADVENTURES

WILL I COPE TAKING MY MOTORHOME OVER TO FRANCE ON MY OWN, AT 64YRS OLD?