NEVER DID FIND NESSIE



When I finally got to the edge of Loch Ness I was so pleased with the location of the campsite, it was nestled on the edge of the Loch. An added bonus was that it is very echo friendly and there was hardly anyone else on the site. The staff were also very friendly and welcoming. I arrived a bit early because reviews I had read said that it is difficult to find, and knowing just how bad my sense of direction is at the best of times, I gave myself plenty of time to get lost. But the signage was spot on and it took me straight to the site. The rules at most of the sites are strict about when you can get onto sites and when you have to leave them. I was not allowed on this one until two o clock, even though there was no one else waiting, so they showed me into their new cafe and gave me a free cup of coffee. Chatting to the ladies who work in the cafe I said that I would not have wanted to navigate the narrow road along the Loch to the campsite in high season because it would be so busy and difficult to pass other motorhomes. They said that it had taken a long time to get the planning permission for the site but locals were happy when it was set up, because despite the increase in traffic, it gave a lot of employment to the local people. And it really did have such a nice friendly vibe and family atmosphere. There had been a world famous aluminium factory in the area from 1896 that provided lots of jobs and the area flourished for many years but when that finally shut in 1967 the area was hit hard and many of the locals moved out to find jobs.


I drove onto the site and I was able to park up away from everyone and everything, which is my idea of heaven.

 


All I could see across the field was some little echo pods that they have, with little areas to have a campfire and sit out in front of them, thankfully they were all empty. It could be something to do with the fact that there were winds of up to one hundred miles an hour being predicted for this side of Scotland over the next couple of days.

I decided to go for a wander along the banks of Loch Ness. It brought back memories of when I had visited the other side of the Loch over twenty five years ago, with my daughter Sammy, on one of our adventures in search of the Loch Ness Monster. I remember she got a little certificate saying she had searched for Nessie and she proudly showed it to her grandfather when she got home. Declaring sadly that "we didn't find the monster Grandpa"
I just get such a sense of calm when I am by the water and this proved to be no exception. It was just so beautiful. It extends 37 kilometres southwest of Inverness and is 16 metres above sea level. 


It was a very windy night and I actually called my brother to ask him if it was possible for a motorhome to blow over in the high winds. He was very reassuring and I managed to settle down for the night. I could hear my bicycle shaking in the winds and I kept getting up to check that it had now blown away. But the bike cover was ripped to shreds so I needed to think of some way of protecting it again the elements because it was really getting battered by the heavy rain and high winds.

The next day I decided to venture out and find the Falls of Foyers which are set in a dramatic gorge above the campsite. The paths are steep in places but I have noticed that the more I am cycling and walking the fitter I feel and the more I relish the steeper walks. Rather than puffing and panting and moaning like I used to do when I saw a steep incline.
From the offset the views from the frosted slopes back towards the Loch were spectacular. And in front of me I could see the falls up in the hills in the distance.
The snow capped mountains in the distance just added to my excitement as I made my way through the woods up the steep pathways to the waterfall. When I got there I was so lucky that there was not a soul in sight. I was able to savour the moment watching the fine cascade of water falling one hundred and sixty five feet. I am so glad I did the walk and didn't miss this spectacle.
The waterfall influenced the poet Robert Burns to write a poem when he visited the area in 1787 and parts of the poem can be seen on stones along the walk


Heading back down to the campsite I saw a rainbow in the distance and it filled me with happiness. I just get such a special feeling when I see rainbows, almost spiritual and I don't know why but I always have.

My daughter laughs at me because I get so excited when I see one.  When we went to Italy once there was a beautiful double rainbow and I burst into tears. She just laughed at me, took a photo and sent it to my family 'WhatsApp' group, saying "mum has lost her shit! she has seen two rainbows as soon as we arrived" which obviously amused my brothers and sisters!

I was in such a happy mood I didn't want to go straight back to the motorhome. Instead I headed down to the shores of Loch Ness and watched the sunset. The views were so wonderful I stood for about an hour as it got dark, watching the shades of silver and grey across the snow covered mountains in the distance. I do like my own company and very rarely get lonely but at moments like this when it is just so tranquil and magical it would be lovely to share that moment with someone special. So it was tinged with a touch of sadness ...but I soon brushed that aside and cherished the views.


I survived another very very blustery night and I have to say I found it very exciting listening to the wind in the trees and being snug as a bug in my motorhome.  Now it was time to head off to another Loch, Loch Lomond. I was looking forward to the drive and planned to take my time and take in my surroundings along the way. I was also toying with the idea of possibly doing my first bit of wild camping. I had plenty of gas, food and water so if I saw somewhere that took my fancy and I felt safe I was going to take the plunge and wild camp!

Comments

  1. Sounds fantastic! The storm must have been scary as hell though...can imagine how you felt through the night. I hope you're going to visit Glencoe, a beautiful place, atmospheric, eerie, haunted (maybe), at least it is in good weather...not sure about February!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

ONE WOMAN, ONE MOTORHOME, ONE FRENCH ADVENTURE

MAGIC HAPPENS WHEN WOMEN GET TOGETHER FOR ADVENTURES

WILL I COPE TAKING MY MOTORHOME OVER TO FRANCE ON MY OWN, AT 64YRS OLD?