BRAVING THE SNOWY WEATHER

I was told that the biggest sled dog competition in Britain was due to take place during my stay in the Cairngorms. Apparently it is held at this time of year to guarantee snow for the event but that has not been the case for the last few years, and it looked like this year was not going to be any different.

I was intrigued as to how they would run the event with all the Huskies and sleighs and no snow. As I approached the start line there were crowds of people and teams of huskies in vans and tied up all over a big field. Many of the dogs were barking and eager to get on with the competition. The races featured teams of two to eight dogs, had there been snow they would have pulled their musher on a sled, but as there was no snow the musher used a three wheel rig that looked like a tricycle without a seat.
I have to say I was underwhelmed with what I saw. There was no real excitement despite the valiant efforts of the compere to drum up enthusiasm. It was all a bit sad in my mind. I was very disappointed because I had hoped to see some really exciting racing and enthusiastic crowds. I only watched for about an hour or so then I peeled off to go and get my bicycle to have a bit more excitement exploring in the Cairngorms National Park, just up the road.

The Cairngorms National Park is so beautiful with breath-taking backdrops of rolling mountains.
The cycle paths are not too maintained so it gave me enough of a challenge to cycle miles throughout the towering trees in the woodland and past the tiny lochs. 

A few hours later when I got back to the motorhome it was nearly sunset and the views over Loch Morlich were so colourful. I made myself a cuppa tea and grabbed a couple of ginger biscuits and just sat on a mound looking out across the lake thinking just how lucky I am to be doing this!
Overnight there was a smattering of snow and it looked petty icy on the road so I decided to stay a couple more nights where I was. I am not experienced enough to attempt to drive the large motorhome in potentially snowy or icy conditions.


And once again in the morning as I approached the Loch the view was dramatically different. It was magical, there was a thin layer of snow on the beach and on the mountain range in the distance. It looked like there had been a light sprinkling of icing sugar all over the area around the Loch. But I am afraid it still would not have been enough snow to make yesterday's Husky racing any more exciting
This weather really has been unpredictable though, as soon as I booked to stay a couple more nights the sun came out and the snow disappeared, so I begin to fret that I did the wrong thing and maybe I should have been braver and just ploughed on to my next port of call.
That night the skies were so clear and the stars looked so beautiful so I decided that I would make myself a cup of tea and venture out in the pitch black to the edge of the Loch and star gaze. As I started to pick may way through the trees, trying not to spill my tea ,the little voice in my head started "what if there are foxes? worse still what if there are wild boar?", I got fearful butterflies in my stomach and considered turning back, but then the voice said " don't worry if anything comes at you just chuck your hot tea on them that will scare them off", and with that I carried on walking to the waters edge. I am glad I did because it was wonderful. I also took the time to think about how I was really handling the breakup from my boyfriend. A few weeks had past and I was feeling stronger but I was not pleased with myself for being so mean spirited with him as he had not done anything wrong apart from not love me. So when I got back to the motorhome I called him and had a long natter and felt so much calmer and better about things and it really helped me truly let go. Sometimes a bit of soul searching is what one needs to get peace of mind. That is something I have never really had the time to do so it is a new concept for me, but it definitely works.

The next morning temperatures had dipped and there was nip in the air and a definite feel of pending snow.



I loved how excited it made me feel to see the snow heading my way and to see it settle, even though it was not as bad as initially predicted, I was glad that I had not gone out. Some of the higher roads were closed due to snow and high winds. I don't have to rush so there is no point in putting myself in danger and I am still getting to grips with driving such a big vehicle. Regardless of whether there is snow and ice.

Finally it was time for me to head off to try and find Nessy, the Loch Ness monster. And as much as I think I am off grid and enjoying the experience of getting back to basics, when I realised that my SAT NAV would not work due to lack of signal I began to panic. I popped into the small shop on the main road and stocked up with a new cylinder of gas and mentioned to the woman that I was heading to Loch Ness and that my SAT NAV would not work. She suggested I reverted to the good old fashioned map to get me there, as the signal in this part of Scotland was not very good. I have to say it was a novelty using the map and I forgot how much I like planning my routes with a map. She also gave me idiot proof directions, including to turn left when I got to a roundabout in Inverness with a big statue of Nessy on it. She even pointed out the supermarket so I could stock up, which I did at the Aldi superstore and I filled up with petrol. Now that I have plenty of petrol, food and gas I am seriously thinking of doing some wild camping in Scotland and going off grid. But I will hold that thought for now.

The drive to Inverness and to Loch Ness was beautiful but very very windy,  I had to concentrate hard especially when bigger vehicles passed me by, it pulled the motorhome to one side and I had to counter steer.
True to form my first glimpse of Loch Ness was shrouded in mist, only adding to the mysterious atmosphere surrounding it. I was excited about the prospect of camping on it's shores for the next few days.

Comments

  1. Wow Siobhan, what a trip. You may not have found Nessy, but you are certainly finding yourself.
    Only you could end up in a place where even a GPS satellite (that can see the entire planet!) can't see you.
    Bless you!! ♥️

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appear to have come up 'unknown' - story of my life -
    Phil in Crowborough

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

ONE WOMAN, ONE MOTORHOME, ONE FRENCH ADVENTURE

MAGIC HAPPENS WHEN WOMEN GET TOGETHER FOR ADVENTURES

WILL I COPE TAKING MY MOTORHOME OVER TO FRANCE ON MY OWN, AT 64YRS OLD?