GETTING LOST ON MY BIKE

I definitely prefer staying on the smaller certified location sites. I like the solitude and the amazing views that most of them offer. Greystone Farm in Blockley near Moreton-in-Marsh in Gloucestershire, was perfect for me. Just one big field with two hard standing sites with electric hook up, somewhere to get fresh drinking water and somewhere to empty the toilet cassette. And on a working farm so you are at one with nature. But sometimes nature can be pretty loud! I just had to record the cows in the field behind me when they are ready to be milked! They make so much noise it was incredible. But I suppose if your udder is full of milk you would probably be making a racket to get someone to empty it!
But it did not deter me from settling in on the site. I just loved the views and the surroundings. I headed off on my bicycle to Moreton-in-Marsh, which was over five miles away. There were some very very very steep hills to navigate but I found it very exhilarating and scary all at the same time free flowing down the steepest parts! I felt like a kid again! But then the voice in my head kicked in..."what if you come off!! ", "don't you think you are going a bit fast?"..." How about using the breaks a little?"..." But what if that makes me go all wobbly at this speed and I come off?" 
Eventually I got to Moreton-in-Marsh which is so picturesque. I had a wander around quickly, pushing the bike, but thought I had better head back as it was going to get dark very soon. 
 I managed to get to a few miles from the farm where I was staying, then I totally forgot which way to go! I went back and forth trying various routes. My phone would not connect to the internet to get onto google maps to find out where I was supposed to go, because it was so remote and the internet signal was no good. By this time it was getting dark and I was beginning to panic and was not sure what to do. I asked several people and they all sent me in opposing directions which showed me that they did not really know where the farm was either. I rode my bike past the same man three times and he even called out " Really! oh no not you again! and I said "yes really I am still lost"
Eventually I managed to flag down a white van man who kindly looked up the route on his car satnav, then took a picture of it on my phone so I could find my way back 

I was frozen by this time and I was so happy when I finally saw the farm in the distance and I could get warm in my motorhome.
The next day it was a pretty frosty morning and I loved opening up the motorhome door and seeing the views across the countryside. It made me feel so free! 
I decide to set off again for Moreton-in-Marsh, this time taking more notice of the route so that I could easily find my way back. enroute I stopped off at Batesford Arboretum.  It was started by Bartram Freeman Mitford, the first Early of Redesdale, in 1886 when he inherited the estate.
I was so lucky that the weather had changed and it was such a beautiful crisp day to wander around the grounds. It was the prefect time of year to see all the Autumnal colours looking so vibrant. I just wandered aimlessly for ages and felt so at peace. I would highly recommend a visit to this place. The magnificent Hall at the bottom of the Gardens just accentuates the beauty off all the colourful trees.
Eventually I tore myself away to head to into Moreton-in-Marsh a couple of miles down the road. Earlier I had googled hairdressers and I found one that said they could fit me in for a haircut. I am one of those people who if my hair feels horrible, I feel horrible, but I don't take ages styling it, I do the messy look very well! 
David who cut my hair at dsalonmoreton.com was so friendly and put me at my ease. It is not easy taking pot luck on hairdressers when you have used the same hairdresser for years. Richard, who has done my hair for years knew exactly how to cut my hair so I always just left him to it and was happy. But thankfully David did a fabulous job and I felt great when I left. He was originally from Manchester so we connected as friendly northerners as well and had a good natter which was an added bonus.
I remembered the route for my return journey more easily and I arrived home just as the sun was setting. I cooked myself a delicious dinner and settled down snug as a bug in a rug.

The next morning I awoke early to the most beautiful sunrise. I made a cup of tea, wrapped up warm and put on my wellies and wandered around the field and farm lane watching the sunrise. I find it so energising and always marvel at the beauty of the spectacle.
Another day and another bike ride. This time I headed to Chipping Campden, a small market town in the Cotswolds district of Gloucestershire. It has an elegant terraced High Street dating from the 17th century. 'Chipping" is from Old English 'ceping' meaning a market place. It was a rich wool trading centre in the Middle Ages, and it marks the end point of the Cotswold Way.
The Grade 1 listed Market Hall stands in the centre of the town. It was built in 1627 and is still in use. The building, with it splendid arches, was intended as a shelter for merchants and farmers selling their wares with the side walls open to allow light, and customers to enter. It is currently owned by the National Trust.
Having explored the beauty of Chipping Campden I got on my bike again and cycled the six miles through beautiful countryside to Broadway. I was told the road into Broadway was quite steep but that was an understatement!! Fish Hill just goes on and on and on, there is even an escape road half way down. Apparently it decends 600ft in over two miles and it has a few hairpin bends and it is very busy with speeding traffic. In my naivety I had committed to it on my route but I have to say my heart was in my mouth most of the way down as cars sped past me. I was so relieved to eventually reach the bottom. I had actually sung aloud to myself to calm my nerves!  I was dreading making my way back up again on my way home!
It was worth taking my life in my hands though as Broadway is beautiful. It is a large village within the Cotswolds in Gloucestershire. It is often referred to as the "Jewel of the Cotswolds"Many of it's limestone buildings date back from the 16th century. It is known for its arts and crafts movement. It was a busy stagecoach stop on the route from Worcester and London in around 1600. At one time there were as many as 33 public Houses and lots of extra horses for the steep haul up Fish Hill. It stopped being a staging post when the railway opened in Evesham in 1852. 
I loved wandering up and down the Main Street looking at all the little shops and cafes. Eventually I decided to head off home. Thankfully one of the shop keepers told me to follow the old road out of the village that was very quiet and it would bring me out half way up Fish Hill. So I did just that, then followed the cycle route on the pavement the rest of the way up to the top. And thanks to the power of my electric battery on the bike it was quite a pleasant trip back to my motorhome. I felt I had really had a good cardiac workout! as well as exploring some beautiful places in the Cotswolds.
 Having spent hours on my bicycle and cycled miles over the last few days I decided the next day to take it easy and just enjoy my surroundings at the farm.
I got myself a good book, that my niece gave me as a sixtieth birthday present, all about travelling in a motorhome around Great Britain, and I relished the opportunity of finding out about places I had yet to explore. Places that I never knew existed. 
Even though it was very cold there was something heartwarming about sitting looking out over the countryside wrapped in a thick blanket with a cuppa tea. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ONE WOMAN, ONE MOTORHOME, ONE FRENCH ADVENTURE

MAGIC HAPPENS WHEN WOMEN GET TOGETHER FOR ADVENTURES

WILL I COPE TAKING MY MOTORHOME OVER TO FRANCE ON MY OWN, AT 64YRS OLD?