TISSINGTON

Tissington Caravan and motorhome CL site was my next port of call. I liked the Certified Location sites because they have a maximum of five caravans and motorhomes. But I was very pleased to have the whole field to myself. It was in a perfect location with nice views and within walking distance of the village of Tissington.
When arrived I wandered down to see what the village was like and was pleasantly surprised to see what a magical place it was. There is a fine Jacobean Manor which has been the home of the Fitz Herbert family for over five hundred years. There was an old fashioned sweet shop but unfortunately that would not be open during my stay in the area.Now it is low season it only opens for a couple of days a week. I visited the candle making shop but refrained from buying anything especially as I am watching my spending and living on my pension.

Tissington also boasts five separate Wells which are dressed each year and people gather for the Well dressing ceremony. The origins of Well dressing are lost in antiquity but one theory is that it began just after the Black Death of 1348-9. The population round about was ravaged by the plague but Tissington all escaped and the immunity was ascribed to the purity of the water supply. And it became the custom to decorate the wells in thanksgiving. The designs are erected the day before Ascension Day. And on Ascension Day the clergy progress around the village and bless each one in turn.
The Tissington trail, which is now a bridleway, cycleway and footpath, but formerly a railway line, is easily accessible from the village. So I grabbed my electric bicycle and cycled the three and a half miles to Ashbourne and back which was great fun!!




The next day I erected a sign at my spot on the camping field to let any newcomers know that it was already occupied. Then I headed off in the motorhome to Derby train station to meet my daughter Sammy and her gorgeous dog Frank. They were staying with me for a couple of nights and I was beyond excited !!


From the moment they set foot inside my motorhome they were at home. Frank was on guard all the time to bark at passing horses or the cows in the next field. He was not going to let anyone get to us. 
We wrapped up warm, erected the awning at the side of the motorhome and sat outside with nibbles and a gin and tonic to have a good old natter and catchup. I was thrilled that Sammy liked the motorhome so much. It was far more spacious and homely than she had envisaged. She actually declared that she too could live in a place like it.  

I was lucky that she also liked the novelty of refilling the water for me from the tap at the other side of the field. Shame she was not as interested in emptying the toilet cassette! And Frank was loving the freedom of running around the field. He waited patiently to be cleaned and dried before he came bounding into the motorhome.


Sammy made me laugh with her observations about my decor 


After I cooked us a delicious meal we settled down to a nice game of scrabble and a good nights sleep. Frank snuggled down under the covers all night and didn't make a noise.
We woke really early the next morning to see the most beautiful sunrise. We pulled on our wellies and rushed outside to run around the field and watch the sun come up, still in our jimjams. The dew was on the trees and grass and it was very cold but we just loved it, it was so exhilarating and we could not stop laughing. It was so wonderful to spend time like this away from the stresses and strains of life with my daughter and Frank. I felt it brought us even closer together.

We then got back into bed to warm up with a hot cuppa tea and breakfast before walking the three and a half miles to Ashbourne along the Tissington trail.
We found a nice spot in Ashbourne to have some lunch and a glass of wine before we got the bus back to the village of Tissington.
The next day we had a walk then went to the lovely tea shop and cafe in Tissington and had afternoon tea before I took Sammy and Frank to the train station. 

I was sad to see them go.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ONE WOMAN, ONE MOTORHOME, ONE FRENCH ADVENTURE

MAGIC HAPPENS WHEN WOMEN GET TOGETHER FOR ADVENTURES

WILL I COPE TAKING MY MOTORHOME OVER TO FRANCE ON MY OWN, AT 64YRS OLD?