RUTLAND WATER


The rain was so bad that large parts of the Peak District and Lincolnshire were flooded, so it was hard for me to find a site that had a hard standing pitch, because everyone wanted on, so they would not get stuck in the grass. Having just been though the experience of being rescued from a muddy field I did not want to go there again. So when I realised that the site I was heading for was along very muddy and flooded lanes, I called them up and cancelled, even though on this particular day the sun had decided to show its face and there were glorious blue skies I could not risk getting stuck. The heavy rain from the previous days had taken its toll.
I phoned around other sites and finally found one, not far from Rutland Water, that had a couple of nights free and a hard standing plot with electric hookup. At nineteen pounds a night I heard myself saying to the fella on the other end of the phone , "gosh that is a bit expensive". That just shows me how I am slowly getting into the swing of living on a budget. 

I was thrilled when I pulled up to the gate at the site rutlandgreendale.co.uk it was so lovely and so well maintained. I got a very warm welcome with lots of information about cycle and walking routes in the area. There was even an outdoor swimming pool. Sadly it was not the weather for a quick dip in the pool as tempting as it was. 


The shower blocks were so well maintained with little luxuries like hand cream and tissues which when you are on the road mean a lot at a site. I was becoming acutely aware there are varying standards of toilet blocks from amazing to disgusting!  
Even though it was still raining lightly I decided to take myself off to Rutland Water and go cycling around it. I parked the motorhome just near the edge of the waters and got my bike off the cycle rack. For ages I struggled to do that! I have bruises everywhere from fighting with the bike to get it on and off the bike rack at the back of the motorhome. Then I had a light bulb moment! "take the blummin battery off before I try to lift it because the battery itself weighs a ton! " now it is a lot easier. I have also realised that I need to try and wedge one wheel in a section of the track then tease the other wheel in, but that always flips to a right angle and that is when the struggling starts. I am sure many people have been entertained on sites watching me with my bike. but I still love it! 

I thought of myself as Dora the explore because I cycled for miles through puddles and muddy lanes ventured off the beaten tracks. I got covered in mud!

When I eventually got back to Rutland Water and saw the cafe on the waters edge there was just one thing for it. A sausage baguette with mustard and a pot of tea. Well it would be rude not to.
Where I was staying had a few fields that you could walk around and even though the area is a bit to flat for my liking I loved seeing the sun set as I wander around.
The next morning I loved listening to the birds singing in the trees behind my motorhome. My mother, who died in March used to love the sound of birds singing and she loved birdwatching. I never really got it to be honest. But now that I have the time to really stop and take in my surroundings I get it!! seeing the birds flying around and having such a good time and listening to them sing really fills my heart with joy and makes me feel closer to my mother.
I then travelled to Cambridge to check into a hotel to meet up with my family ahead of the funeral tomorrow. I Could not miss the opportunity for a good swim and I loved making the most of the spa facilities.

 Even though it was sad circumstances to get together, it was nice catching up with this side of my family and reminiscing over dinner. The funeral was a fitting tribute to my Aunty Betty who was a character. I remember getting so excited as a child when we knew that she was coming to visit. I instinctively knew it would be fun and she loved a few gin and tonics.
The next day I headed off to my next port of call not far from Grafham Water. But getting out of the hotel on the A14 was a nightmare because there are so many road works and the sat nav does not recognise the road layout. It kept sending me round and round in circles.  I would drive for miles and end up in the same place again. It was very stressful! so I eventually did a naughty thing and squeezed through some traffic cones and did a U turn when I realised I was going the wrong way again!! and I got myself out of the roadworks and on my way. I just thought to myself "if I get into trouble so I get into trouble but I cannot drive in the wrong direction again!"

The next Caravan and Motorhome Certified location site Fairy's Lodge Farm was perfect. I was the only motorhome there and it had a great shower and toilet on the edge of their stables. It is not often you get facilities like that on a CL site. Normally you get water and somewhere to empty the loo. So this was an added bonus and I planned to stay for a week just to regroup after the funeral.
 I was treated to the most breathtaking sunsets which always warms my heart and makes me feel at peace. 

I know that my retirement is what I had hoped for and more already and I am only three months into it. It is easy to get bogged down in life with money and processions but it is times like this that I realise that life for me is about experiences and people and I can think of no better way of living my life at the moment than day to day and giving myself the time and space to feel and experience things and gather my thoughts.


Comments

  1. Loving the blog Siobhan - what a fantastic and fascinating adventure you are embarking on. Nicer to do it away from the crowds even if it is slightly damper. Wishing you more wonderful experiences ahead.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

ONE WOMAN, ONE MOTORHOME, ONE FRENCH ADVENTURE

MAGIC HAPPENS WHEN WOMEN GET TOGETHER FOR ADVENTURES

WILL I COPE TAKING MY MOTORHOME OVER TO FRANCE ON MY OWN, AT 64YRS OLD?